This post will explain how to change mouse dpi. A dots-per-second indicator, often known as DPI, is seen in computer mice. It is used to test the sensitivity of your mouse and to alter the speed of your mouse cursor by adjusting how many pixels per second it moves.
Understanding your DPI is very essential while playing video games or utilising software that requires precision cursor placement. It also makes using widescreen monitors and many displays a lot easier.
How to Change the DPI of Your Mouse in Windows 10
This post will enable you how to check and change the DPI of your mouse on Windows 10.
What is the DPI (dots per inch) of the mouse?
Dots Per Inch (DPI) is an abbreviation for dots per inch. It’s a measurement that shows how many pixels your mouse can move in a single inch. If your mouse has a DPI of 1600, for example, moving it one inch (2.54 cm) will enable the cursor 1600 pixels on your screen.
The higher your mouse’s DPI, the more sensitive it is. Modern gaming mice, for example, have DPIs of up to 20000. Although this could look like an inconvenience, many people who use big or many monitors appreciate the ability to move the cursor more quickly.
Tip: Anyone can use all of the approaches in this post because our instructions are simple to follow and don’t require any prior knowledge of Windows 10. Don’t forget to refer us to anyone you know who is having problems with their computer!
While the majority of people are unconcerned about DPI, it is crucial for video game players. Many people speculate about the ideal DPI level to shoot precisely in First Person Shooter (FPS) games.
You may change your mouse DPI in a variety of methods, then check your current DPI to remember which level works best.
How to change the DPI of your mouse in Windows 10
Many individuals wish to change their DPI level to increase or decrease sensitivity. You’ll feel more at ease and be able to operate your smartphone more efficiently. With optimum sensitivity, you can get more done and enjoy your gaming experience even more.
Depending on the sort of mouse you have, setting your DPI is a different process. Both (left and right) mouse buttons are usually the only buttons on an office mouse, however dedicated gaming mice contain anything from 4 to 8 buttons.
To change your DPI, follow these steps.
Method 1: In the Settings app, change the mouse sensitivity.
This strategy works best with mice that have a dedicated DPI button. Fortunately, the Windows 10 developers didn’t forget about folks who use older computer mice, and they provided an easy way to modify mouse sensitivity for everyone.
Note: While you won’t have a precise number right away, you can figure out your new DPI using the methods indicated in the next section.
You may easily change your DPI using the Settings programme.
- To open the Start menu, click the Windows icon in the bottom-left corner of your screen, then select “Settings.” You can also go for use of the keyboard shortcut Windows + I.
2. Select “Devices” from the drop-down menu.
3. Using the left-side panel, navigate to the “Mouse” tab.
4. At the end of the browsed page or in the right-hand panel, click the “Additional mouse options” link.
5. Using the Mouse Properties window’s header menu, select the “Pointer Options” tab.
6. With the slider under ‘Motion,’ you can change the speed of your mouse. If you move the slider head to the left, your mouse will get slower, and if you move it to the right, it will become faster.
7. We recommend disabling the “Enhance pointer precision” setting because it has the potential to mess up your DPI.
8. Then press the OK button. The change in mouse speed should be noticeable right away.
Method 2: Modify the video game’s sensitivity.
In many video games, you can alter your sensitivity while playing. This allows you to operate your system normally with one DPI and then configure multiple sensitivity settings for different games.
While each game’s setting is different, you can generally follow these steps to find where you can change the sensitivity of your in-game mouse.
- Start the game in which you wish to change your sensitivity and wait for it to completely load.
- Locate the “Options” or “Settings” menu, which is normally accessible from the title screen.
3. You should be able to find a “Controls” menu somewhere. If this menu is missing, you won’t be able to alter the mouse sensitivity from the game you just started.
4. Find the mouse sensitivity slider and tweak it till you’re satisfied with the speed of mouse.
The majority of gaming mice have a dedicated button for altering your DPI on the fly. You may change your DPI in any programme by switching between presets, which may or may not be configurable depending on your mouse.
Normally, the DPI button is found beneath the scrolling wheel. It’s modest in comparison to the other buttons, and it may even have the word “DPI” printed on it.
You may cycle between the default DPI settings by pressing the button once, and they steadily become higher and higher. Instead of cycling, some mice may have two buttons to increase or decrease the DPI.
Are you unsure which button controls your DPI? We recommend looking for your mouse’s original box, which should have graphic labelling for each button. You can also go for browsing the manufacturer’s website for your model.
How to check the DPI of your mouse
There is no special Windows 10 programme for testing your DPI that comes with the OS at the time of writing. This is a problem since many individuals would like to understand their mouse DPI in a clear and simple manner.
Don’t lose confdence or hope; there are plenty of other ways to figure out what DPI you’re using. To discover and change your mouse DPI, simply follow the steps outlined below.
Method 1: Examine the product’s specifications.
This method is most commonly used with branded mice. Most large manufacturers have a website where they list their items, replete with details and photographs. This is mostly intended to pique clients’ curiosity, but it can also benefit people who have already purchased the goods.
In this case, we’ll examine the Razer Mamba Elite mouse to determine its DPI. This procedure is the same for all mice; however, some manufacturers lack a website or technical information about their devices.
- Go to the manufacturer’s website to learn more. We went to the official Razer website in our circumstance.
- To find your mouse model, utilise the built-in search engine.
3. Look for the technical details on the webpage and double-check the DPI count.
If you can’t locate your mouse on the manufacturer’s website, we recommend contacting customer service. Many companies provide customer service by e-mail or phone.
Method 2: Make a painting with Microsoft Paint.
This may appear to be a ridiculous method of determining your DPI, yet it works almost exactly. Because MS Paint allows you to view the pixel at which your cursor is now located, you can do a small experiment to determine your DPI.
- MS Paint can be found by searching for it in your taskbar or in your list of programmes.
2. Increase the zoom level to 100%.
3. Move your cursor to the far left hand side of the screen and select any brush tool. The first value in the bottom-left corner should be 0.
4. Move your mouse about 2-3 inches while holding the left mouse button. Look at the first number in the end-left corner without moving your mouse and write it down.
5. Do this process as many times as necessary, then average the results. This is your DPI (dots per inch).
Method 3: Make sure you have the right mouse drivers installed.
The driver software for most branded computer mice is provided by the manufacturer. Even if the hardware contains extra buttons and functions, this allows you to entirely modify how it behaves.
You may be able to check your DPI after installing the appropriate mouse driver. For this example, we’ll utilise a branded Trust GXT 177 Rivan RGB Gaming Mouse.
- Go to the manufacturer’s website to learn more. We went to the official Trust website in our case.
- To find your product, use a search engine.
3. Look for an area where you can download the driver software, then select your operating system from the drop-down menu.
4. Launch the app after installing the driver. You should have the ability to find a section dedicated to DPI settings, which will allow you to see your mouse’s DPI.
Keep in mind that not every mouse or manufacturer has its own driver programme. However, it’s worth double-checking in case you wish to make any customizations.