Feature Internet

Roblox’s service in China has been paused as the company conducts roblox ‘critical temporary activities.’


On December 8, Tencent’s LuoBuLeSi, a Chinese version of Roblox, abruptly shut down its server five months after it launched on iOS and Android.

Surprisingly, many users resorted to Chinese social media to express their dissatisfaction with the little notice. In a message, LuoBuLeSi said that what users were playing was a “archive-deleting test version.” “Have you seen a testing game that allows users to put dollars to their accounts?” one person demanded.

“We launched Roblox a China also known as LuoBuLeSi, last year with the goal of creating an immersive virtual universe of 3D experiences in China, which we have been testing and iterating on along the way,” a Roblox representative told Techgigs.

“We’ve always known that creating a compelling platform in China is an iterative process, and we appreciate the LuoBuLeSi users’ and our worldwide developer community’s support.”

Tencent has yet to react to a request for comment from Techgigs.

Roblox and Tencent launched a joint venture in May 2019 in which the former owns a 51 percent controlling position and Tencent owns the remaining 49 percent, marking a unique arrangement in which a foreign corporation owns the majority stake in a Chinese joint venture. LuoBuLeSi released an Android test version in July 2020 that stated expressly that user archives will be erased when the trial time finished.

Because of the unusual nature of Roblox’s offering, it may have taken longer to obtain regulatory approval. LuoBuLeSi has made a point of emphasising its educational focus from the start. China, on the other hand, launched a broad crackdown on the private school sector last year. LuoBuLeSi’s exposure to young gamers was expected to be limited due to China’s increased restrictions on children’s gaming time.


It’s also worth considering how China’s new data laws have affected foreign internet service providers. Yahoo and LinkedIn will not be the last Western corporations to withdraw their services from China as the country’s cross-border data transmission restrictions tighten.

“It is vital that we now make the necessary investments, including investments in our data architecture, in order to accomplish our long-term goal for LuoBuLeSi,” Roblox said in a statement. As we build on the next version of LuoBuLeSi, we’ve established that a few key interim steps are required.”

To publish in China, foreign games typically look for a local partner to assist with marketing, distribution, and, probably most importantly, regulatory compliance and gaming licence applications.

Tencent as an ally would ensure that LuoBuLeSi’s user-generated plays do not offend Chinese authorities. LuoBuLeSi is separate from Roblox’s worldwide platform, thus it lacks the same game library and player pool. As a result, many Chinese users have used VPNs to access the global version, which is a regular occurrence when a globally popular title’s Chinese edition gets censored.

Despite this, LuoBuLeSi remains the entry point for many domestic and international developers looking to get into China’s casual-games sector. Many creators will be irritated that no date has been assigned for the “formal” debut. According to app analytics firm Sensor Tower, the platform had 1.7 million instals in the China App Store before it was removed on December 8.

“We were taking to the long view in China when we launched LuoBuLeSi last year, intending to build a platform that would give a compelling metaverse experience,” said a Roblox representative. “The goal has remained the same.”

Related Articles

How You Can Use uTorrent to Download Movies In 2022

Stefan Stefan

Otakudesy 2022 Nonton Episode AOT Season 4 Part 2 Sub Indo

Stefan Stefan

Employee Connect Portal How To Login Hyvee Huddle

Stefan Stefan

Leave a Comment